South Africa Emerging are currently involved in an unofficial Test series with Sri Lanka Emerging in Potchefstroom and Pretoria. This was preceded by a limited-overs tri-series, which also featured the University Sports South Africa XI.
- Galiem never quite held down a permanent berth in the Cape Cobras XI, but will forge a burgeoning career with the Titans soon enough. In the meantime, the seamer’s solid ability with the ball was exemplified by nine wickets – the most by South Africa Emerging – during the limited-overs leg. The right-hander’s form with the bat, though, need work after 37 runs from his last seven innings.
- Breetzke has already tasted international cricket to an extent, after being with the Proteas as a non-playing squad member. An outstanding century during last week’s unofficial first Test in Pretoria reminded all and sundry of the opening batsman’s plentiful promise. While Sinethemba Qeshile is South Africa Emerging’s first-choice wicketkeeper, Breetzke is also an option behind the stumps.
Raynard van Tonder
- The South African Emerging captain was consistent throughout the limited-overs series, averaging 45, and continued that form with a commanding 69 in the unofficial first Test. His team won that match – and his tactics and leadership will again be on display during this week’s series decider in Pretoria. A series victory over challenging opposition will largely set his captaincy apart from his predecessors.
- A promising left-arm fast bowler and capable of weighing in with handy runs down the order, Jansen is already on the Knights’ radar for some franchise cricket at a mere 19 years old. He was second only to Galiem for South Africa Emerging during the limited-overs fixtures, and offered good support to fellow seamers Galiem and Tladi Bokako in the opening unofficial Test.
- Burger’s rise has been ongoing since replacing the injured Anrich Nortje in the Cape Town Blitz squad for the inaugural Mzansi Super League. He has left the Lions for the Cobras, where his left-arm variation has all but sidelined Michael Cohen. His new franchise will do well to develop the match-winning attributes currently being showcased for South Africa Emerging.
Photo: Gallo Images