Captain Jon-Jon Smuts was named Cricketer of the Year at the Warriors awards in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.
Smuts captained the Eastern Cape franchise through the 2018-19 season and represented the Nelson Mandela Bay Giants in the inaugural Mzansi Super League.
‘The team deserves all the recognition it received. As seen by the vast number of players who received awards this year, it really has been a stellar team performance from us and that’s something I’m really proud of,’ said Smuts.
‘We have an unbelievable squad going forward, a squad with great experience and some youth as well, so it’s going to be really exciting to see everyone’s growth over the next couple of months.’
The 31-year-old Smuts was named in the Proteas squad for this month’s T20I series against India, but was later withdrawn after failing to meet fitness requirements.
Smuts and Proteas T20I wicketkeeper-batsman Sinethemba Qeshile were named Fans’ Player of the Year and Most Promising Player, respectively.
Warriors award winners
- Batting award: Eddie Moore
- Bowling Award: Anrich Nortje
- Batting award: Sinethemba Qeshile
- Bowling award: Lutho Sipamla
- Batting award: Marco Marais
- Bowling award: Sisanda Magala
- Most Promising Player: Sinethemba Qeshile
- Fans’ Player of the Year: Jon-Jon Smuts
Photo: Gallo Images