Cricket can be a strange game, where personal achievements are often overshadowed by disappointment as one’s team crashes to defeat.
Scoring an ODI century is always worth celebrating, but here we look at the six South African players who have scored the most tons in winning causes.
6. Gary Kirsten – 12 in 120 ODI wins
- Kirsten was the first South African batsman to make a habit of going big in ODI cricket, and when he did, the Proteas almost always won. Kirsten was the first South African to score 10 ODI centuries, and when he called time on his career, he had notched 13 tons with a dozen coming in victories for the green and gold.
5. Quinton de Kock – 12 in 74 ODI wins
- De Kock has already surpassed Proteas great Kirsten in terms of ODI tons scored. De Kock has struck 15 in 121 ODIs, with 12 of them helping set up a South African victory. His 107 against England at Newlands earlier this year was his first as skipper.
4. Jacques Kallis – 13 in 209 ODI wins
- No South African has played in more winning ODI sides than Kallis, who was among the victors 209 times in the format. Kallis scored 13 tons in winning efforts and four in ODI defeats. He scored 58 half-centuries in matches that his side won.
3. Herschelle Gibbs – 15 in 154 ODI wins
- Gibbs is one of the most absurdly talented batsmen ever to have played for South Africa, and he was capable of winning matches almost single-handedly. Gibbs scored 15 of his 21 ODI hundreds in matches that South Africa went on on to win, including the 175 he contributed to the Proteas’ famous chase in the ‘438 game’ against Australia at the Wanderers in 2006.
2. AB de Villiers – 21 in 140 ODI wins
- Another gamebreaker of the highest order, De Villiers averages 66.44 in South African victories. De Villiers hit 161 sixes in the 140 ODI triumphs he was a part of, and he still holds the record for the fastest-ever 50 and 100 in the same innings – against the West Indies in January 2015. A month later he scored the fastest 150 in the format against the same opponents.
1. Hashim Amla – 24 in 108 ODI wins
- Amla may have taken some time to convince skeptics of his white-ball credentials, but he ended his career with a truly remarkable achievement – Amla holds the record for the most ODI hundreds by a South African batsman. In 2010, he scored five ODI hundreds in Proteas wins and tonned up at least twice every year between 2010 and 2017.
Photo: Gallo Images