South Africa have been pooled with Canada, Afghanistan and the United Arab Emirates for next year’s U19 World Cup.
The hosts and Afghanistan will contest the opening fixture of the tournament in Kimberley on 17 January.
South Africa U19 won the World Cup under captain Aiden Markram in 2014. Markram has since progressed to the Proteas ranks, but is currently sidelined by a wrist injury during the recent Test series against India.
Former Proteas Graeme Smith, Hashim Amla, Wayne Parnell and others previously played for South Africa U19.
The squad for next year’s World Cup will be announced in December, when South Africa U19 will contest three limited-overs fixtures with India U19 in East London.
- Group A: India, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Japan
- Group B: Australia, England, West Indies, Nigeria
- Group C: Pakistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Scotland
- Group D: Afghanistan, South Africa, UAE, Canada
South Africa’s fixtures:
- 17 January – South Africa vs Afghanistan at Diamond Oval
- 22 January – South Africa vs Canada at JB Marks Oval
- 25 January – South Africa vs UAE at Mangaung Oval
- 28 January – Group A (1) v Group B (2)
- 29 January – Group B (1) v Group A (2)
- 30 January – Group C (1) v Group D (2)
- 31 January – Group D (1) v Group C (2)
- 4 February
- 6 February
- 9 February
Photo: Gallo Images