Cricket South Africa on Monday confirmed that seven people in its administration had tested positive for coronavirus, with a few of them players.
With the governing body eyeing a return to action relatively soon, mass testing was conducted throughout the various franchises at both player and staff levels, while CSA’s contracted players also underwent the important tests.
According to Netwerk24, two of the seven people who tested positive are players, one of whom has played for the Proteas in the past.
The cases are mild, however, and CSA is monitoring the situation with the help and guidelines set out by the Ministry of Sport.
‘We tested every player who returned to training,’ said Proteas medical officer Dr Shuaib Manjra.
‘That includes our high-performance group, while all coaches, fitness coaches and support staff, who returned to training with these players, were also tested.
‘We implemented self-isolation for everyone who had tested positive and we traced the people they had been in contact with, who are also now in quarantine.’
CSA’s plans to get back on the field with the newly invented Solidarity Cup were put on hold on Saturday, with the governing body stating that more preparation was needed to conduct the match in a safe space.
It is clear that the results of the mass testing affected staging the fundraising match this coming Saturday in Centurion.
Dr Manjra, however, says all protocols were followed since cricket was allowed to return under the level 3 restrictions.
‘We followed every precaution to ensure proper isolation for the involved individuals. We did the testing, tracing, nursing and isolation of these cases, so we adhered to all the requirements.
‘Prior to the Solidarity Cup match, we will test all our players again,’ he said.