South African-born English batsman Nick Compton is taking a break from professional cricket.
Compton, who had a mixed tour with England against the Proteas earlier this year – has since struggled with form in the recently completed home series against Sri Lanka. He scored 51 runs at an average of 12.75, and repeatedly accepted he was playing for his place in the team.
A Test specialist who does not play limited-overs international cricket, Compton has also struggled to make runs for Middlesex so far this season and hopes taking a break from the game will allow him to recharge and regain the form that made him an integral part as the No 3 batsman for both Middlesex and England.
A statement issued on Thursday said: ‘Middlesex County Cricket Club and the England Cricket Team management have agreed for Nick Compton to be given a period of time away from cricket.
‘Following a challenging start to the 2016 season, both physically and mentally, it has been agreed that the best way forward is for Compton to spend some time away from the game.’
Middlesex managing director of cricket and England selector Angus Fraser has backed Compton’s decision to take a break.
‘Nick sets himself very high standards and makes a huge commitment to cricket,’ said Fraser. ‘We all believe that some time away from the game now will allow him to refresh, recharge and return to play the sort of cricket we all know he is capable of producing. During this period Nick will receive the full support of Middlesex CCC and the England Cricket Team Management.’
Photo: Gareth Copley/Getty Images