Makhaya Ntini says he did not resign from his position as bowling coach of Zimbabwe; he was asked to step down.
News broke on Sunday that Ntini was relieved from his duties with a statement from the Zimbabwe Cricket board announcing his resignation.
This was denied by the 40-year-old during an interview on Radio 2000.
‘The honest truth is that I didn’t resign,’ said Ntini, who gained the job after a magnificent career with the Proteas, during which he took 390 wickets in 101 Tests.
‘I was asked to meet the MD, and the first thing that he mentioned, he reminded me that we had a chat about four months ago regarding some of the players’ unhappiness. Some of the players and the staff members went to see him and reported that they are not happy with the job I am doing and that the job that I was given was not meant for me.’
Ntini claims he was then asked to step down. His contract was up for renewal this month, after he was appointed on a two-year deal in January 2016.
Zimbabwe Cricket had earlier in the day sent out a release in which it said it ‘reluctantly’ accepted Ntini’s resignation and thanked him for his service.
Ntini said he was shocked that there were complaints about him.
‘I never had a problem with Heath Streak [head coach] and I never had a problem with Lance Klusener [batting coach].’
Photo: Chris Ricco/BackpagePix