Australia all-rounder Mitchell Marsh says he will not bowl in the three ODIs in India after returning from a long injury layoff.
The tourists, who went down in the four-Test series 2-1, will begin the ODI leg of their tour with Friday’s opener in Mumbai.
Marsh went under the knife late last year for a long-standing left ankle problem, with loose bone fragments removed and cartilage repaired.
“I won’t be bowling this series,” the 31-year-old said. “Probably a month away, three weeks away from bowling in the game, maybe towards the IPL. There are a lot of options in our team at the moment and a lot of cricket to be played this year.”
He added: “The reason I had this surgery was to prolong my career as an all-rounder and won’t be rushing back.”
Marsh, a hard-hitting middle-order batsman, said he had come back from the injury a “better version” of himself.
Steve Smith will lead the team in the absence of Pat Cummins as Australia kickstart preparations for the ODI World Cup in India later this year.
“As every team would be doing now for the next six months or so, building towards the World Cup … you might see us playing a few different line-ups, experimenting with a few guys,” he said.
David Warner is expected to return after leaving the Test series midway with concussion and a hairline fracture to his elbow.
Marsh said the team will “not rush back” the left-handed opener if he is not fully recovered.
READ: Pant ruled out of IPL, Warner named Delhi captain
© Agence France-Presse