The inaugural edition of the newly invented Hundred competition has been postponed to 2021, the English Cricket Board announced on Thursday.
England’s domestic and home international season was due to start in May but has twice been postponed due to the ongoing risk of the Covid-19 pandemic with The Hundred originally set for a 17 July start.
In a statement, ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said The Hundred remains a top priority of the board’s long-term plan to evolve the game on local shores.
‘Whilst we are naturally disappointed that we won’t get to realise our ambitions this year, The Hundred will go ahead in 2021 when we are safely able to deliver everything we intended to grow the game,’ Harrison said.
‘As we emerge from the fallout of COVID-19, there will be an even greater need for The Hundred. Our survival as a game, long term, will be dependent on our ability to recover financially and continue our ambition to build on cricket’s growing fanbase. That need has not gone away and, if anything, it is now more critical.’
Proteas spinner Imran Tahir was set to feature in the competition for the Manchester Originals after being drafted for R2.4 million at last year’s auction.