CSA director of cricket Enoch Nkwe says it’s “unfortunate” that Lance Klusener withdrew his application for the Proteas limited-overs head coach job.
Klusener, who is coaching Durban’s Super Giants in the SA20, was reportedly the front-runner for the role before ruling himself out of contention earlier this week.
“He did communicate his withdrawal to us and why he wanted to focus on T20 cricket,” Nkwe told News24.
“We respect the decision and he’s always been a great asset to South African cricket. We hope that in future, we can have him on board.
“We’ve had him on board before but there are other attractions that we can’t compete with. We must respect people’s decisions and desires.
“He was very professional about it in terms of what could work for him.”
CSA plans to have different head coaches for the Test and limited-overs teams. Its remaining options are interim Proteas head coach Malibongwe Maketa, former Proteas assistant coach Adrian Birrell, SA U19 coach Shukri Conrad, former Titans coach Rob Walter and ex-West Indies director of cricket Richard Pybus.
“We’re nearing the end of the process and we’re looking at sometime next week to make the announcement,” Nkwe said. “We’ll only be able to confirm by Friday in terms of when the actual announcement will be, but we were happy with our interviews.
“The candidates gave us a bit of a headache as we needed to see who would fit best in which format.
“It was unfortunate that Lance pulled out, but we respect that, and we’ll continue moving forward.”