Cricket South Africa chief executive officer Thabang Moroe insisted ‘there is no breakdown in the relationship’ with the South African Cricketers’ Association (Saca) on Tuesday.
Saca has filed a court application to have CSA’s decision to restructure domestic cricket reviewed.
Earlier this year, Moroe confirmed the franchise system will be replaced by provincial cricket in 2021.
‘We continue to talk with Saca CEO Tony Irish. In fact, CSA president Chris Nenzani had an informal chat with him in London and our board treasurer as well. Saca has agreed to a meeting to iron out these matters,’ said Moroe.
‘What CSA needs to do now is to determine dates and extend an invitation to Saca to agree to a particular date. Saca continues to be a key part of CSA.
‘It would be irresponsible for me to say, “No, it isn’t our hope to go to court at all costs.” If we have to, we will in order to defend our view on the domestic restructuring and finances. But yes, it is our hope not to go to court.
‘We’re still a family with Saca and we should, as symbolic family, be able to sit around a table and discuss our differences.’
CSA’s proposed changes will effectively have the Lions, Cape Cobras, Knights, Dolphins, Warriors and Titans replaced by Gauteng, Western Province, Free State, KwaZulu-Natal, Border, Northerns and others.
‘Saca is of the view that there’s been a significant breakdown in the relationship between itself and CSA,’ Irish told The Citizen.
‘To be honest, the fact that we’re engaged in a court case says everything that needs to be said.’
Photo: Gallo Images