The whole Cricket South Africa board is reportedly set to be dismissed by the organisation’s Members Council.
The beleaguered board could be forced by the council to step down after months of pressure from Sascoc and the Minister of Sport Nathi Mthethwa given the corporate mess it slumped into amid the Fundudzi report.
Sport24 reports that a resolution was taken at a meeting on Thursday for the entire board to be dissolved.
‘There’s a meeting a meeting on Sunday that will rubber stamp the resolution taken at yesterday’s meeting,’ a source close to the Members’ Council said.
‘There are a number of proposals on the table and some things to be finalised before a final decision is made.’
The source further said that the reason for the resolution was growing calls from the outside for the board to resign, while the governing body went in search of possible solutions.
‘There were a number of options tabled at the meeting. The first was to take the minister on legally but the risk with that route is that the ICC would step in and likely ban South African cricket.
‘The second option was for the non-independent directors to step down and to allow the the independent directors to remain and steer the chip towards the AGM.
‘Some proposed that only Beresford [Williams, acting president of CSA] stepped down, because of the implications in the Fundudzi report. The other option was for the entire board to step down. They put it to vote and went for that option, that they must all go,’ the source said.
Last week Mthethwa sent a letter to Williams and CSA to inform them of his plans to let government intervene at the organisation after a breakdown in confidence between the two parties.
Earlier this week the minister, however, approved England’s tour to South Africa for next month in what will be the Proteas first taste of international cricket since March.