CSA and the BCCI are in the process of planning a three-match T20 series between the Proteas and India in South Africa for August, should both governments allow it.
Although the idea is to stage the short tour in August, the effect of South Africa’s postponed tour to West Indies in July and the nature of the Covid-19 pandemic, acting CSA CEO Jacques Faul said India’s visit could be moved to a later date should they want to.
Earlier this year Faul and CSA director of cricket Graeme Smith visited India to negotiate plans for the short series, with recent discussions seeming positive that the matches could get the ball rolling again for South African and Indian cricket following their respective lockdowns.
In a virtual media conference on Thursday, Faul stated that CSA is eager to get any form of cricket up and running again but will meeting with Sascoc and the Minister of Sport and Recreation, Nathi Mthethwa, to seek permission.
‘We had a telecon with India yesterday (Wednesday) and we are encouraged by their willingness to honour their agreement to play the three T20s in August, and if it’s postponed then maybe a bit later,’ said Faul.
‘I would also like to thank the ECB for engaging with us to make sure we follow the right protocols should we play in a bio-secure environment. We are engaging via SASCOC with the Minister (of Sports, Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa). We are in the process of seeking an audience with the Minister to get permission if needed to play behind closed doors and this will relate to the possibility of the India tour and other incoming tours.
‘We’re trying to be innovative because it is an important tour to us. Leading to that, a lot of good work is being done by Dr. (Shuaib) Manjra, who heads up our COVID-19 steering committee. We continue to take guidance from him. A lot of work is being done in terms of scenario planning,’ he added.
Photo: Alex Davidson/Getty Images