Four Coke T20 provincial finals will take place this weekend around South Africa, writes THEO GARRUN.
The race is on to determine the provincial T20 champions who will compete in franchise finals and go on to the Schools T20 national finals in Pretoria on 15-17 March.
The provincial playoffs in Eastern Province, North West, Gauteng and SWD take place either on Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday.
Those four provincial winners will join Westville (KZN Coastal), St Charles (KZN Inland), St Andrew’s (Free State), Paarl Gimnasium (Boland), Old Bunting Secondary (Kei) and Noord-Kaap (Northern Cape) in their various franchise finals over the next few weeks.
The finals of the remaining provinces will be held next week.
The Northerns championship was held last weekend and was won by Waterkloof … but the result was overturned when it was discovered that the losing finalists, Centurion, fielded an over-age player. Pretoria Boys’ High were promoted to finalists and the game was meant to be replayed this week, but rain has prevented that from happening.
Last weekend Paarl Gim became the latest provincial champions to be identified when they beat their neighbours Paarl Boys’ High by eight wickets in the Boland final.
They now go into a playoff series with the SWD and Western Province champions to see who will represent the Cobras Franchise at the national finals. Those playoffs will take place in George on 1-2 March.
Paarl Boys’ High 102-9 (Niel Bekker 39; Brian Davids 4-15)
Paarl Gimnasium 104-2 (Benjamin Calitz 53)
Paarl Gimnasium won by 8 wickets
This weekend’s provincial finals
Eastern Province (16-17 March, Grey High School)
– St Andrew’s College vs Bethelsdorp
– Loyiso High School vs Marlow
– Grey High School vs Brandwag
– Union High School vs Nico Malan
North West (15-16 March, PUK)
– Lichtenburg vs Wolmaranstad
– Matlosana HUB vs Klerksdorp HS
– Potch Volkskool vs Potch Gimnasium
– Rustenburg High vs Fields College
Gauteng (16-17 March, Wits University)
– King Edward vs Trinityhouse Randpark
– St John’s vs Northclif
– Jeppe vs Queens
– St Stithians vs Noordheuwel
SWD (16-17 March, Hoërskool Outeniqua)
– Sao Bras Secondary vs Sentraal High School
– Langenhoven Gymnasium vs Oakhill
– Outeniqua vs Bridgton RPC
– Oakdale Agricultural School vs Punt
Photo: Theo Garrun