The fixtures for the inaugural Mzansi Super League were announced on Thursday. Here are six of the best contests.
Cape Town Blitz vs Tshwane Spartans, 16 November, Newlands
- The opening fixture will set the tone for a tournament that has gone through the rings off the field, where delay after delay will largely be forgotten if the cricket is of a solid standard.
Nelson Mandela Bay Giants vs Durban Heat, 23 November, St George’s Park
- This coastal battle’s timing is particularly intriguing, as South Africa will be back from their tour of Australia, and Chris Morris and other Proteas will be available.
Jozi Stars vs Cape Town Blitz, 24 November, Wanderers
- The cross-country rivals will square off in Johannesburg, where morphed loyalties will be evident. Janneman Malan, for instance, played for the Lions but has since joined the Cobras.
Paarl Rocks vs Cape Town Blitz, 25 November, Boland Park
- This Western Cape derby is highly anticipated, especially after the region was awarded two teams at the expense of Bloemfontein or Kimberley.
Tshwane Spartans vs Jozi Stars, 28 November, SuperSport Park
- An entertaining inland battle awaits, as AB de Villiers steps into the spotlight against a Stars bowling attack genuinely light on international experience.
Tshwane Spartans vs Durban Heat, 12 December, SuperSport Park
- This will be the final fixture before the ‘eliminator’ and final. A tight battle for a berth in the closing three, rather than a dead rubber, is expected.
You can keep yourself updated on the Mzansi Super League by checking out this cricket betting site’s tournament page.