Batsman Rassie van der Dussen was named International Men’s Newcomer of the Season at Saturday’s Cricket South Africa awards in Pretoria.
Van der Dussen was nominated for the T20 International Cricketer of the Year accolade, which was won by batsman David Miller.
‘Van der Dussen’s inclusion in the Proteas team was inevitable given his prolific form. He scored 56 off 44 balls in his T20 International debut against Zimbabwe, and 93 off 101 balls in his ODI debut against Pakistan,’ said CSA.
‘In ODIs, he scored 664 runs, including seven 50s, at an average of 73.77 and a strike rate of 81.87. In T20 Internationals, he scored 253 runs with a strike rate of 133.15, with two half-centuries and a best of 64.’
Van der Dussen was also rewarded as the inaugural Mzansi Super League’s Impact Player of the Tournament on the back of a superb stretch of form for the Jozi Stars – the eventual champions.
Warriors wicketkeeper-batsman Sinethemba Qeshile, meanwhile, was named Domestic Newcomer of the Season.
Cape Cobras duo David Bedingham and Janneman Malan and Qeshile’s Warriors teammate Lutho Sipamla were also nominated for the award.
‘The Warriors wicketkeeper-batsman scored 735 runs in the Four-Day Franchise Series, including seven 50s, with a top score of 99, at an average of 52.5. He also took 18 catches,’ added CSA.
‘In the One-Day Cup, he scored 282 runs at an average of 40.28 and a strike rate of 106.81, including a career-best 121 not out and two half-centuries, while taking seven catches behind the stumps. In the T20 Challenge, Qeshile made 101 runs with a best of 38 at a strike-rate of 109.78, and took four catches.’
- Men’s Cricketer of the Year: Faf du Plessis
- Women’s Cricketer of the Year: Dané van Niekerk
- Test Cricketer of the Year: Quinton de Kock
- ODI Cricketer of the Year: Faf du Plessis
- T20 International Cricketer of the Year: David Miller
- SA Players’ Player of the Year: Faf du Plessis
- Fans’ Player of the Year: Kagiso Rabada
- KFC Streetwise Award: Dale Steyn (SA’s leading Test wicket-taker of all time)
- Delivery of the Year: Vernon Philander
- International Men’s Newcomer of the Year: Rassie van der Dussen
- International Women’s Newcomer of the Year: Tumi Sekhukhune
- Women’s Players’ Player of the Year: Dané van Niekerk
- Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year: Marizanne Kapp
- Women’s T20 Cricketer of the Year: Shabnim Ismail
- Four-Day Franchise Series Cricketer of the Season: Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)
- Momentum One-Day Cup Cricketer of the Season: Junior Dala (Titans)
- CSA T20 Challenge Player of the Season: Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
- Mzansi Super League Impact Player of the Year: Rassie van der Dussen (Jozi Stars)
- Mzansi Super League Young Player of the Year: Lutho Sipamla (Tshwane Spartans)
- Coach of the Season: Enoch Nkwe (Lions)
- Domestic Players’ Player of the Season: Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
- Domestic Newcomer of the Season: Sinethemba Qeshile (Warriors)
- Africa T20 Cup Player of the Tournament: Marco Marais (Border)
- SACA Most Valuable Player Award: Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)
- Umpires’ Umpire of the Year: Bongani Jele
- CSA Umpire of the Year: Shaun George
- CSA Scorers Association of the Year: Gauteng Cricket Scorers Association
Photo: Gallo Images
Photo: Gallo Images