Fast bowler Kagiso Rabada was the only South African named in the International Cricket Council’s Test Team of the Year on Tuesday.
Rabada was the leading wicket-taker in Test cricket in 2018 – and is partnered by fellow fast bowlers Jason Holder, Mohammad Abbas and Jasprit Bumrah in the ICC XI.
India’s Virat Kohli was named captain of the Test and ODI teams. The latter didn’t feature a single South African, but four Englishmen and four Indians made selection.
‘It has been an amazing year. I was able to play in a manner that I would not have imagined. If the intention is right and you keep working hard, the results are there in front of your own eyes,’ said Kohli.
‘The intent has always to be helping your team at any cost, that is when these performances come by and you are pushing yourself to the limit, which you otherwise will not be able to. That is something I experienced in 2018 a lot.’
Former Proteas all-rounder Shaun Pollock was among the voting panel.
Test Team of the Year
1. Tom Latham (New Zealand)
2. Dimuth Karunaratne (Sri Lanka)
3. Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
4. Virat Kohli (India, captain)
5. Henry Nicholls (New Zealand)
6. Rishabh Pant (India, wicketkeeper)
7. Jason Holder (Windies)
8. Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)
9. Nathan Lyon (Australia)
10. Jasprit Bumrah (India)
11. Mohammad Abbas (Pakistan)
ODI Team of the Year
1. Rohit Sharma (India)
2. Jonny Bairstow (England)
3. Virat Kohli (India, captain)
4. Joe Root (England)
5. Ross Taylor (New Zealand)
6. Jos Buttler (England, wicketkeeper)
7. Ben Stokes (England)
8. Mustafizur Rahman (Bangladesh)
9. Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
10. Kuldeep Yadav (India)
11. Jasprit Bumrah (India)