Proteas interim Test captain Quinton de Kock says the squad is determined to play their part in ensuring no bio-bubble chaos ensues during the tour of Sri Lanka.
The Proteas’ recent ODI series against England was called off after numerous Covid-19 breaches and infections within both camps, and with the first Test against Sri Lanka scheduled to start on Saturday, De Kock says the players are following all the safety guidelines set out for the bubble to avoid further drama.
‘We have a bit of a responsibility but it is nothing we can’t handle, it is a small part we have to play to ensure that we can host future tours during Covid times,’ he told reporters on Monday.
‘Unfortunately, we as players can’t do much so we have to make sure our bubble remains safe. We have protocols that have been put aside for us and since day one, everyone has been adhering to it.’
SuperSport Park in Centurion and the Wanderers in Johannesburg will play host to the two encounters against Sri Lanka with a second round of testing set to be conducted on Tuesday.
Last week two Proteas players returned positive coronavirus results in the first batch of testing as the players prepared to enter the bio-bubble.
The Proteas and Sri Lankan squads will be sharing a hotel at the Irene Country Club for the duration of the series but have been cordon off to avoid any interaction.
‘We have gotten the protocols a week in advance. It’s a little bit difficult these first few days but once we do our next test [on Tuesday] and it comes out all negative, everything will go back to normal. It’s just a matter of waiting it out and adapting to life in the bubble.
‘We won’t be mingling with them [Sri Lanka]; we are in the same facility as them, we can see them though,’ De Kock added.