New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has decided to cancel the U19 team’s tour to Bangladesh (scheduled for April) in the wake of the terrorist attacks on two mosques in Christchurch.
Greg Barclay, the chairman of NZC, said they’ve agreed with the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) that sending an age-group team to one of the countries worst affected by the incident would be insensitive and inappropriate.
‘We have conveyed our deep sense of regret over the circumstances leading to this mutual decision, and the BCB have been both understanding and generous in response,’ Barclay said. ‘NZC have nothing but respect for the BCB and believe this development has only served to bring our countries closer together and to strengthen our bond through cricket.’ In reply, the BCB has expressed ‘solidarity with NZC and the peace-loving people of New Zealand’.
— DNA (@dna) April 1, 2019
However, Barclay said both countries remain committed to playing bilateral series across all levels, including ‘Developmental’ and ‘A’ tours which start with the Bangladesh U19 team’s tour to New Zealand in September.
Members of Bangladesh’s senior side were just ‘about 50 yards from the mosque’, which was the site of one of two terror attacks in Christchurch last month. They managed to escape through Hagley Park and the tour was called off shortly afterwards.
Photo: Bangladesh Cricket Board