New Zealand cancelled their tour of Pakistan over security concerns just minutes after the first match was due to start on Friday.
The Black Caps were set to play three ODIs and five T2oIs – their first in Pakistan since 2003.
“New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said in a statement.
NZC chief executive David White said it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving.
“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”
NZC would not comment on the details of the security threat and arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.
International cricket in Pakistan was suspended in the aftermath of terror attacks against the Sri Lankan side in 2009, but has slowly revived over the past two years.
A security delegation from New Zealand last month inspected arrangements in Pakistan and it was only after their clearance that the tour was given a go-ahead.
Most of the squad arrived on Saturday and Sunday with a level of security usually reserved for visiting heads of state that included armed guards escorting their bulletproof buses.
Their Islamabad hotel has been guarded by a heavy paramilitary and police contingent.
Pakistan are due to host England for two T20Is next month, while the West Indies and Australia are also to tour in the next six months.
“We are liaising with our security team who are on the ground in Pakistan to fully understand the situation,” the England Cricket Board said in a statement. “The ECB board will then decide in the next 24-48 hours whether our planned tour should proceed.”
© Agence France-Presse
Photo: Aamir Qureshi/AFP/Getty Images