Chief executive officer Thabang Moroe has reiterated that Cricket South Africa (CSA) remain in negotiations with South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) over the new T20 league.
Late last month saw CSA and the SABC announce a joint exclusive partnership agreement for the tournament.
The partnership has afforded the SABC exclusive official broadcast rights for the sub-Saharan region – and is covered by a memorandum of understanding for the next three years.
‘We’re working very hard with SABC in terms of drafting the contract. We just want to wrap up the long-form agreement between us, the SABC as well as our other partners – and then we can make all the necessary announcements,’ Moroe said on SABC 3 during Tuesday’s first T20I between South Africa and Zimbabwe.
‘This is purely a step that we need to follow from a risk point of view, given the disappointment of us having to postpone the league last year. The board has given me a strict mandate that before we announce anything, we have all the necessary agreements in place and that they’re signed.’
Previously called the T20 Global League, prior to last year’s postponement and eventual revamp, the new tournament will be supported by the Board of Control for Cricket India (BCCI).
The BCCI boasts plenty of experience, having hosted 11 editions of the Indian Premier League since 2008.
‘I am delighted to announce that the Board of Control for Cricket in India has accepted our invitation to make some of their senior administrators, who have extensive experience in running the IPL, available to assist with the smooth running of our tournament,’ said Moroe.
‘Their experience will be invaluable and will assist in ensuring that the league is one of international standing.’