In our cereal, we have chosen to use wholegrain oats. This is important for a balance in nutrition. The healthy choice!
What are whole grains?
Whole grains have all of the parts of the original groat in its original proportions, these are:
• Bran: The hard outer shell. It contains fibre, minerals and antioxidants
• Germ: The middle layer of the grain is mostly made up of carbohydrates and micronutrients
• Endosperm: This inner layer has vitamins, minerals, protein and plant compounds
In refined grains, the bran and germ are stripped away, allowing for major nutrient loss. These are milled for a finer texture and longer shelf life. The refined product gets nutrients added after, to make up for the ones that are lost in processing. Many of these nutrients can’t be replaced, leaving you with an inferior product without much nutritional value. Processed foods will not keep your blood sugar levels steady, which is why you will be hungry again soon after eating.
Whole foods are always preferable to processed foods and grains are no exception. Wholegrain cereals are a rich source of many essential vitamins, minerals and micronutrients. Also, a good source of antioxidants that can help lower blood cholesterol levels.
Whole grains have many health benefits:
• High in fibre (soluble and insoluble)
• High vitamin and nutrient content
• Healthy fats
• Plant-based proteins
• Good source of minerals such as selenium, potassium and magnesium
• Lowered risk of diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure
Wholegrain Oats Contain a Powerful Soluble Fibre Called Beta-Glucan.
The health benefits of beta-glucan fibre include:
• Reduced LDL and total cholesterol levels
• Reduced blood sugar and insulin response
• Increased feeling of fullness
• Increased growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract
By delaying the time it takes your stomach to empty of food, the beta-glucan in wholegrain oats may increase your feeling of fullness.
Beta-glucan may also promote the release of the satiety hormone, produced in the gut in response to eating, leading to reduced calorie intake and may decrease your risk of obesity.
All of these benefits, in one little grain – Making NutriStart wholegrain oats cereals an excellent addition to your day!