Former England all-rounder Dimitri Mascarenhas has been appointed New Zealand’s bowling coach full-time in the wake of the team’s encouraging Test series in England.
Appointed in an interim role following the departure of Shane Bond in April, Australian-raised Mascarenhas had been retained on a two-year contract after New Zealand’s bowlers made their mark during the drawn 1-1 series.
‘Dimitri has impressed in the short time he’s been with the Black Caps and we’re delighted he’s accepted the offer to continue working with the side,’ New Zealand Cricket’s head of cricket Lindsay Crocker said in a statement on Sunday.
‘Both coach Mike Hesson and captain Brendon McCullum have been pleased with his contribution on the tour and have watched him develop excellent working relationships with the bowling group.’
The 37-year-old played 20 one-day internationals and 14 Twenty20 internationals for England as an all-rounder, as well as being a stalwart for county side Hampshire before carving out a coaching career in New Zealand domestic cricket.
The first of five ODIs between England and the Black Caps gets underway on June 9. – REUTERS
ELLIOT SMASHES CENTURY IN WARM-UP MATCH
New Zealand warmed up for the ODI series in clinical style, as Grant Elliot and Luke Ronchi both hit unbeaten centuries in their 198-run victory over Leicestershire.
Both batsmen finished on 106 not out for the tourists to finish on 373-5, before Mitchell McClenaghan picked up four wickets to bowl Leicestershire out for 175.
ROGERS DOUBTFUL FOR SECOND TEST
Chris Rogers’ chances of returning to Australia’s XI for the second Test in Jamaica appear to be receding as he continues to suffer from the after-effects of the concussion that ruled him out of the tourists’ nine-wicket victory in Dominica.
The team doctor Peter Brukner has said that Rogers, who briefly faced up to some throw-downs in the Windsor Park nets during the match, is still working through symptoms and will be given more time to recover before returning to training.
‘Chris is still experiencing some symptoms of concussion and the plan is have him take it easy another few days,’ Brukner said. ‘In regards to his availability for selection for the second Test it’s too early to say at this stage.’
It would avoid a selection headache should he be left out, with Shaun Marsh or centurion from the previous Test on debut Adam Voges a potential exclusion at Roger’s expense.
Australia won the first Test by a comprehensive nine wickets. – CRICINFO
SA U19 SQUAD TO FACE BANGLADESH NAMED
Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced the 15-man SA U19 team to take on Bangladesh from 29 June to 21 July in a seven-match, Youth ODI series in Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
The tour forms part of the reciprocal agreement between CSA and the Bangladesh Cricket Board, following South Africa’s tour to the subcontinent country earlier this year which SA lost 6-1.
It also forms part of South Africa’s preparations for the ICC U19 World Cup that will take place in Bangladesh in January 2016.
SA U19s coach, Lawrence Mahatlane said: ‘I’m looking forward to a new challenge and with a bit of experience starting to build up in the squad, I’m excited to see the growth of this group. We’re looking forward to get to Durban in a couple of weeks and getting down to business with a really excited and motivated group of players.’
SQUAD: Tony de Zorzi (capt, Gauteng), Ziyaad Abrahams (WP), Aaqil Ebrahim (WP), Dean Foxcroft (Northerns), Dayyaan Galiem (WP), Brendon Glover (Gauteng), Conor McKerr (Gauteng), Nduduzo Mfoza (KZN), Rivaldo Moonsamy (Northerns), Wiaan Mulder (Gauteng), Kabelo Sekhukhune (Easterns), Lutho Sipamla (EP), Liam Smith (Gauteng), Kyle Verryne (WP) and Sean Whitehead (Free State).