Incoming England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Colin Graves has confirmed that he is considering tabling proposals to shorten Test matches from five days to four.
‘Personally, I think we should look at four-day Test cricket and play 105 overs a day, starting at 10.30am, and finish when you finis, as all the grounds now have lights,’ Graves, who takes up his role in May, told the MCC website.
The ECB could not itself introduce four-day Test matches, but it could push for changes to the Test format in international negotiations.
Expanding on the idea, Graves added: ‘Every Test match would start on a Thursday, with Thursday and Friday being corporate days and then Saturday and Sunday the family days.
‘From a cost point of view, you’d lose that fifth day, which would save a hell of a lot of money from the ground’s point of view and the broadcasters. I would look at that.’ – AFP
KAMAL QUITS ICC
ESPNCricinfo reports Mustafa Kamal has resigned as the ICC president two days after his complaint that he had been denied his constitutional right to hand over the World Cup trophy.
Upon arrival back to Bangladesh, he had spoken to local television channels and claimed ‘My rights were dishonoured. After I go back home, I will let the whole world know what’s happening in ICC. I will let the whole world know about those guys who are doing these mischievous things.’
He has had other differences with the ICC during the World Cup as well, notably the no-ball called on Rohit Sharma in the India-Bangladesh quarter-final, in which he questioned the integrity of the umpires
STARC SUFFERS INJURY BLOW
World Cup player of the tournament Mitchell Starc will reportedly miss the first three weeks of the Indian Premier League due to injury.
The Australian quick, who tops the ICC’s one-day bowling rankings, has sustained a minor knee strain, according to News Corp Australia.
The setback means Starc will be sidelined for a handful of matches with his IPL franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore, as Cricket Australia refuse to take chances on their spearhead bowlers months before the start of an Ashes series. – smh.com.au
MILLS JOINS VETTORI IN RETIREMENT
Black Caps pace bowler Kyle Mills has retired from all cricket after an illustrious 17-year career.
The 36-year-old represented New Zealand in 170 one-day internationals, 42 Twenty20s and 19 tests, and finishes as the country’s second-highest ODI wicket-taker with 240 scalps.
‘It’s been an honour and a privilege to play cricket for my country over the past 14 years and I will miss it greatly,’ he said.
‘However, the time is right for me to step away from playing this great game and devote more time to my family, who have sacrificed so much for me to keep playing the game I love.’ – stuff.co.nz