Roelof van der Merwe says his desire to play international cricket and the quota system in domestic cricket played a role in him moving to the Netherlands.
Van der Merwe announced last week that he had obtained Dutch citizenship through his ancestry and was leaving the Titans to pursue a career in the Netherlands.
At 30 years of age Van der Merwe still has ambitions to play at the highest level and made his debut for his adopted country last Friday, scoring an unbeaten 40 and taking 2-27 against Nepal.
‘It wasn’t an easy decision, but I believe it’s in the best interests of my career and my family,’ Van der Merwe told Netwerk24.
‘Just over a year ago, me and my wife [Juanita] started talking about the possibility of moving to the Netherlands. When the chance arrived, we just had to take it.
‘It’s not nice to admit it, but South Africa is currently not the place where I want to bring up my two daughters.’
Van der Merwe also admitted Cricket South Africa’s controversial quota system played a part in his decision to move abroad.
From next season, all South African franchise teams would be required to field at least six players of colour in their starting teams. Of those six, three must also be black Africans.
‘It [quota system] wasn’t the only consideration, but definitely played a role,’ said Van der Merwe.
‘My cricket has improved markedly over the last few years and I believe I still have a few decent years left. I have to make the most of it.’